How to extend tyre life
Professional tyre fitting. All works should be done by certified specialists and only with modern professional equipment.
Balancing of each tyre will improve steering response, increase ride comfort and ensure more even wear.
Conformity of tyre and rim. The choice of tyres is made according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and technical characteristics.
Correspondence between the axle and the tyre type. Each tyre is meant for a certain axle. Its use on another axle will lead to a worse rolling response and shorter tyre life.
CConformity with the load limitations for the axle and the tyre. It is prohibited to use a tyre under load index or speed which does not comply with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Regular tread wear control. Uneven tyre wear shortens its life. Operation is prohibited when wear indicators show complete wear.
- Removal of foreign objects from tread grooves and between dual wheels minimizes tyre damage.
- Regular tyre pressure control helps to achieve the most even wear, ensure maximal safety and reliability.
- Control over working conditions of all elements of car suspension and braking system.
- Tyre switching between axles and sides of a vehicle.
- Careful driving with minimum possible emergency acceleration and braking.
- Rational distribution of transported load.
- Regrooving or recapping of tread will help to achieve the maximal tyre efficiency.
Regrooving of tyres
Cost efficiency, reliability and high ROI are the main requirements of professional carriers. Regrooving can increase tyre life. Regrooving of truck tyres is often allowed by national legislation and is recommended to improve safety and mileage. Tyres suitable for regrooving are marked by the letter U or by the word “Regroovable”. Regrooving should be carried out by tyre centers or truck tyre fitting shops, that have truck tyre regrooving schemes recommended by manufacturers, high quality equipment and a specialist able to define the depth of regrooving, choice of the width and the form of blades.
Regrooving increases tyre life significantly (by 20 – 30 per cent depending on the conditions of use) and reduces fuel consumption, as tyres after regrooving have the lowest tyre rolling resistance possible. Regrooving can be done only when residual tread height is at least 2-3 mm. This rule allows reproducing the tread pattern and preserving the minimal thickness of the rubber layer (2 mm) between the tread pattern base and layers in breaker zone.
The depth of regrooving is an observed value in most cases. It is recommended to measure the depth of tread in the most worn out spots to assess the thickness of the rubber layer over the breaker layer.
In many countries, installation of regrooved tyres on the front axles of trucks and front and middle axles of urban and tourist buses and trolleybuses is not allowed.